Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flirting with admissions...Texas style

So apparently I got busy last week (go figure) and wasn't able to finish--or even continue--my series on past boyfriends. For another day and time, folks. Until then, I'll tell you that I've been thinking a lot lately about when I applied for college. I just got a job as a high school recruiter for BYU, and I'm remembering all I went through to apply and select a school.

One thing I was particularly proud of was my admission essay. I remembered advice given to me by my senior English teacher, Ms. Brown, when she told us to make our essays creative and memorable. I took that advice very seriously. So for my 200-word essay on how I prepared to come to BYU, this is what I wrote:

Here in Texas, everything is big; molehills are mountains, drizzles are floods. If something must happen, it happens in extremes. And so it happened that this southern belle prepared herself extremely for the demands of higher education.

Mere participation in fine arts escalated into a mountain when I made competitive region orchestra and region drama. I also received the highest honors in speech and violin for various tournaments.

Serving as laurel president and leader in stake youth council, I elevated my Y-Mount into Mount Everest. I composed music for beehives to play in church. I went with missionaries to help activate youth in a ward. Writing the stake's New Beginnings program added snow to my summit. Remembering I must build others' mountains as well, I devoted last summer to tutoring children in math and reading.

My academics were no Carolina creek, either. I drenched the embankments of a high school education with participation in AP classes and National Honor Society. This, combined with my leadership roles in school and service organizations kept my Rio Grande flowing.

I have filled my Texas taco with the meat of the gospel and the flavorings of arts and rigorous academics. Doesn't it look tasty?


What do you think? I'm still so proud of it, although it's extremely juvenile. Looking back, it seems risky that I would write something so flippant. But I got in, so...

1 comment:

  1. You sound like the most annoying Texan I've ever heard speak....kudos!

    ReplyDelete