Monday, March 28, 2011

Haiku Heaven

I'm convinced sleep is like a temperamental train; you can buy a ticket, but if you aren't on the platform when it comes (and you never know when it'll come), you may miss it completely. That's what happened tonight.

So what do I do?
When I'm stuck on sleep's platform?
I write these haikus:

Okay but seriously: My modern dance teacher asked us to write a haiku and choreograph a dance that symbolizes the haiku. So I started with haikus that are easily interpretable through movement:

Snow drips off the trees;
Wake up from hibernation;
Spring has greeted us.

AND

I hear the tide crash.
It masks the loud screams of your
Unresponsiveness.

Then, because I can't sleep, I continued to write and write and write and write. I'm afraid to share these haikus because at one point I think creative Sara dug too deep and personal with stuff she should not be sharing. But hopefully the true meaning will be lost on this audience. And hopefully you'll just get a kick out of some really cool/really lame/really weird haikus.


Cap and Gown in hand:
What took me three years to build
Is so quick to end.

They said if I shout,
I would hear my echo back.
I wait, and nothing.

Playing games is fun,
But what if your opponent
Thinks it is real life?

Your words produce tears
That music can drink away,
But not forever.

This life is to live.
Purgatory, though, I’ve learned
Can be hell on earth

Haikus are easy
When they lack feeling and depth.
It’s overrated.

I’m sorry I went,
I’m sorry I stayed; Forgive:
It’s a dirty word.

Believe me for now,
But don't believe me always.
I don't believe me.

Movement, song, and sport
Were such a part of my youth.
Now what do I have?

It's easy to blame,
But harder to see the truth.
We cannot face it.

Russian raises voice
To her Chinese boyfriend, Now
Starting World War Three?

Pay me for my words;
Pay me for understanding;
Don’t pay for my love.

Two princesses here:
One has rocks; one has knockers.
Which do you prefer?

Never thought one day
I’d ever find myself here.
Don’t know if that’s good.

I wish not to lie,
But it gets me what I want.
You are what I want.

Remember the beach?
The warm tide and crabs at night,
Being young was fun.

I can’t forget you
Even though it’s been five years
You’re a part of me.

If I had said yes,
Would I be the person now
That I want to be?

Kweller Forever
Reminds me of the city
And you on the train.

Tulips in winter
And love in the fall. Summer
Is for breaking up.

My bed is calling,
But my dreams just inspire
To keep creating.

Friends come in and stay.
You serve them wine and bad cheese
And they go away.

I like you, I think.
But I think things that are wrong.
Perhaps there's no love.

Protecting her heart
Was what you wanted to do,
And now mine has stopped.

Lying never works
Nor does telling the truth, though.
What's a girl to do?

When you said "Goodbye,"
John wrote a song about it.
Now I say, "Hello."

Why is she still up?
And screaming at her boyfriend?
Break up all ready!

The house smells funny
Maybe it's the third day that
Food has been left out.

Why do girls hate girls,
When the boy does something wrong?
I won't ever know.

I hope I have kids
To shape, love, mold, and care for
Who am I kidding?

Some dreams work better
When you pretend they'll happen.
I do that with you.

If I was Iraq,
Would resources motivate
Your swift invasion?

Click here to read my haikus inspired by Facebook status updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment