Monday, January 3, 2011

YEAR IN REVUE

Sure it's a little late but get over it. I still need to have my postmortum with one of the most interesting years of my life: 2010. You were good to me.

Highlights

* I officially became a groupie and went to more concerts this year than I ever have in other years combined. Among my greatest groupie feats was getting invited back to the hotel with the keyboardist of a national band (don't worry--We only went into the lobby) and having the keyboardist of another band prank call me.

* I underwent two elective procedures on a complete whim--one of which involved a clamp and flaps, the other of which involved a doctor pushing my head back against a kitchen wall and coming at me with a needle while his toddler son ate Little Caesar's pizza three feet away.

* I narrowly escaped kidnapping from a Mexican drug cartel on the U.S./Mexico border during the 4th of July when I went out for a seven-mile jog that went horribly, horribly wrong.

* I biked 10 miles to my boyfriend's house, only to find that another girl had taken my place, the kind of stuff Simon and Garfunkel warned me about. But they didn't warn me that the same girl would start a very public verbal slaughtering of me before leaving the festivities. One of the better memories of 2010, indeed. :)

* I pulled off the greatest April Fool's Day in the world, leading my parents to believe I was marrying an unemployed young boy with no direction, leading a guy I went on a date with to believe I was actually married when we went out, and leading both my ex-boyfriend and my roommate to believe that someone had stolen their cars...leading me to never want to top that April Fool's Day.

* I attended the only university other than BYU: University of Utah, which ended up being a refreshing change of scenery and allowed me to meet some really cool people and learn what it's like to have a separation of church and books.

* I lost one of the best friends I've had in the most epic way possible, while also losing some of the best friends I've ever had in pretty much the same way I've lost them since I was five. The latter wasn't shocking and is pretty much written into the emotional budget plan; the other was so unexpected but so entertaining that it was totally worth it. I think.

* I dated the youngest boy I've ever dated and also took the moral high ground by refusing to kiss him until he went on, and completed, his mission.

* I negotiated my rent for the first time and won big time!

* I completed my first 5K, and my recorded time was 23 minutes and something seconds.

* PROM FIASCO: Probably the most memorable part of my year and quite possibly the best fodder for the next teen angst/drama box office HIT but not quite distant enough to explain via an open, online portal.

2010, I loved you so. How in the world could 2011 compete?

Future... what the heck do you want from me????

1 comment:

  1. I love that phrase: "separation of church and books." Good call, and great year!

    ReplyDelete