Saturday, January 30, 2010

Different Personalities

Friday I received an email from the Dean of Admissions. He asked if we could meet that morning. Immediately I thought the worst and knew I was being kicked out of law school. I prepared my speech, "It was all a big misunderstanding."

Instead, he offered me a job as a research assistant.

I am in charge of new media communications for newly admitted students to encourage them to matriculate at BYU. In a nutshell, I will be getting paid to constantly check Facebook.

But here's the cool part. I sent a mass text to my family telling them the good news. It was fun to see everyone's responses based on their own personalities and their own relationship to me:

Tina (sister closest in age): Sweet. Congratulations.
Damon (brother-in-law): Holy #*$%. That's great. Will this impact your summer plans?**
(after telling him I'd still be home for the summer): Congrats. That's awesome.
Sherrie (oldest sister): Congrats!
Mom: congratulations! As always, i am so proud of you.
Dad: of the law school?
(after answering first questions): Tell him you already have a job.
(after answering Dad's next concern): When do you work and how much do you get paid?
(after answering his third concern): Which is?
(after answering last concern): Hope you have time.


No texts from my sister Emily or brother Chris. Why? Because Chris is an "as-necessary" man. If he doesn't need to respond he won't. I think it's implied he's proud of me. :) And Emily only checks her phone every several hours so by the time she found out, Damon was probably home and told her he congratulated me for the both of them.

Love my fam.


**For the record, Damon doesn't swear but he pretends like he does. He literally used those characters on the text, not a swear word.

1 comment: